Crossing over the Yangtze River, the Caiyuanba Bridge connects two of Chongqing’s busiest business districts and serves as one of the transportation backbones for this rapidly expanding and congested city.
The double level bridge, with a main span of 420 meters, carries six lanes of highway and two pedestrian walkways on its upper deck, and two dedicated tracks of monorails on its lower deck for Chongqing Light Rail Line 3.
Because the bridge is located at the center of the city and is a prominent part of the skyline, aesthetics took precedence in design considerations. After careful study of the location, a slender tied-arch was selected to carry the double level bridge girder over the river.
- The US$190 million Caiyuanba Bridge is one of the longest transit tied-arch bridges for dual highway and rail traffic in the world. The rigid frame and tied arch combination structure is the also first of its kind ever constructed.
- TYLI engineers were able to complete the design of this fast-track project in just nine months, enabling construction to begin at the beginning of the dry season.
- The cable-supported center segment weighs 360 tons, the heaviest such segment in the world.
- The Y-shaped concrete frames provide the maximum navigable channel width and the least impact on water flow during periods of flooding.
- The intelligent active control system is a special feature that allows effective management of internal construction force and safety safe operation.
- The tie bars design allows for ease of maintenance and replacement.
TYLI China, in conjunction with the Chongquing Communication Research & Design Institute, provided complete design and construction support services.
The Project was also a milestone for TYLI, marking the first time a foreign company has ever been awarded a complete design assignment in China.
- Zhan Tian You Award, 2009
Institute of Civil Engineering under the Ministry of Construction