The Municipal Infrastructure Group Ltd., a T.Y. Lin International Company (TMIG), provided planning, design, and construction administration services for a right-of-way (ROW) retrofit to incorporate stormwater treatment within an existing ROW in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
The purpose of the street reconstruction project was to address stormwater management treatment of road runoff by implementing a combination of Low Impact Development (LID) bioretention and infiltration technologies.
- The project included permeable pavement and a series of unique bioretention facilities to reduce runoff volumes and enhance water quality.
- Post-construction monitoring shows the installation to be even more effective than predicted, reducing runoff volumes from rainfall events up to 25 millimeters by more than 90% and reducing peak flows by 66% to 95% for a 2-year return period and larger storm events.
- TMIG’s retrofit design also enhances public awareness by creating a landscape recognizable as a “green/sustainable” street.
- Award of Excellence, 2013
Consulting Engineers of Ontario (CEO)
- Project of the Year (Environment, less than $2 Million), 2013
Ontario Public Works Association (OPWA)