T.Y. Lin International (TYLI) provided engineering and permitting assistance to the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA) for the Class I bike path that closes the gap in the Sweetwater Bikeway.
Completed under SBCTA's Regional Bike Plan Early Action Program, TYLI designed the bike path to include two 4-foot asphalt concrete lanes, two 2-foot concrete shoulders, and a 5-foot buffer separating the bike path from vehicular traffic.
Design included: road widening and transitioning from the on-street bike lane to the bike path; new on-street parking; retaining walls; traffic signal modifications; striping; wayfinding signage, curb ramps; sidewalks; and drainage improvements.
- TYLI assisted with stakeholder outreach and federal funding application and approvals.
- Ongoing communication with utilities avoided impacts on other utility work within project limits.
- Close coordination was required with SBCTA, the City, and a local shopping mall owner.
- TYLI managed the landscape architect who designed new irrigation and landscaping.
- San Diego/Imperial Valley Outstanding Award, 2016
American Public Works Association (APWA)