Located between the Galle Face Green promenade and Beira Lake, Shangri-La Colombo in Sri Lanka sits on 10 acres of land and features scenic views of the Indian Ocean. The mixed-use development, built in accordance with modern sustainability guidelines, consists of:
- A 33-story hotel block, with four levels of hotel podium, 543 guest rooms, over 4,500 square meters of facilities over three floors for meetings, receptions and private functions, a fitness center, spa, swimming pool, and one underground parking level.
- Two 51-story residential apartment blocks, which house 418 apartments, one level of underground parking, and four floors of aboveground parking.
- A 35-story office block, including five levels of retail mall podium, food and beverage court, anchor stores, cinema, supermarket, and three underground parking levels.
T.Y. Lin International (TYLI) provided complete Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) design services for the immense project.
- Ten generator sets (gensets) between 1600kVA and 2000kVA were installed.
- 11 water-cooled and centrifugal chillers between 400 and 800 tons were planned and installed, as well as two 250-ton air-cooled chillers and split units for residential apartments.
- TYLI designed the chilled water heat recovery system, with heat pumps for domestic water heating.
- The design took into consideration condensation recovery from air handling units and fan cooling units for the cooling tower.
- An energy-saving escalator system was included, with Variable Voltage Variable Frequency (VVVF) drive and post-free automatic feature.