Licensed as a professional engineer across North America, George is a respected authority on new bridge design and the rehabilitation of long-span bridges.
George is experienced in all phases of multi-span bridge design and construction engineering, which encompass all aspects of single-span and complex bridge structures, including prestressed concrete girder bridges, steel trusses, steel girders, and cable-supported bridges.
His area of focus is on the design of cable systems, seismic design, and the rehabilitation of bridges in active seismic zones. He has produced final designs, specifications and estimates for suspension systems, cable anchorages, and continuous steel box girder suspended structures. Notable projects include design studies for new orthotropic decks for the George Washington and Bronx-Whitestone (suspension) Bridges in New York City.
Areas of expertise:
- Bridge design
- Seismic analysis
Publications and presentations:
- “Design of the Cable-Stayed Bridge Signature Span of the New Samuel De Champlain Bridge,” M. Nader, G. Baker, H. Patel, S. Shi, and T. Ingham, Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering (CCEE)
- “Chesapeake Bay Bridge Dehumidification Design,” 33rd International Bridge Conference, M. Nader, G. Baker, J. Duxbury, C. Choi, E. Gundel, and A. Tamrat
- “Design, Fabrication, and Construction of Self-Anchored Suspension Span of San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge,” 4th Orthotropic Bridge Conference, M. Nader, G. Baker, C. Choi, and H. Tazir
- “New San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Self-Anchored Suspension Bridge – Orthotropic Deck Design,” Proceedings of the Orthotropic Bridge Conference, ASCE Capital Branch, Sacramento, California (paper no. OBC-04-55)
- “New San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge – Overview of Self-Anchored Suspension Bridge Design,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on New Dimensions in Bridges, pp 15-30, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- “San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge East Spans Seismic Safety Project, San Francisco, California; Self-Anchored Suspension Bridge Suspended Structure Design,” Proceedings of the New York City Bridge Conference, New York, New York, Bridge Engineering Institute
- “Seismic Retrofit of the Vincent Thomas Suspension Bridge,” Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Inspection, Appraisal, Repairs and Maintenance of Buildings and Structures, pp 189-200, Nottingham, United Kingdom
- “Seismic Retrofit of the Vincent Thomas Suspension Bridge,” Proceedings of the 17th Annual Meeting of the International Bridge Conference, Engineers’ Society of Western Pennsylvania, Society of Western Pennsylvania, pp 401-407, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- “Seismic Retrofit of the Vincent Thomas Suspension Bridge,” Transportation Research Record 1624, pp 64-72, Washington, DC