Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre
TYLin provided civil and structural engineering services for the Malaysia International Trade & Exhibition Centre (MITEC) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
MITEC is the largest trade and exhibition centre in Malaysia, with a total gross floor area of 141,060 square meters. The facility has 11 exhibition halls, a multipurpose hall built over a triple-volume space, an auditorium, conference halls, meeting rooms, and one-and-a-half basement levels.
Executed under a design-and-build contract under a prominent foreign contractor, the MITEC project required innovation in design and erection methods. TYLin overcame significant site construction issues for the 72-meter-long span trusses for the 6000-tonne steel roof structure.
The project team worked collaboratively to complete the project within budget, on time, and meeting the client’s requirements.
The MITEC project obtained accreditation from the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia with an Industrialised Building System (IBS) scoring of 72.88.
- Computer 3D modeling and elastic and non-linear analyses were performed for the entire structure.
- Special MITEC features include:
- Ground floor exhibition halls designed for 50 kilonewtons per square meter (KN/m2) load capacity
- 30-meter-long span post-tensioned beams for the exhibition halls
- C-shaped and S-shaped steel structure
- 40-meter-tall, unbraced columns at the main concourse
- A glass lift structure with 36-meter-tall reinforced concrete columns