East End Parking Garage Rehabilitation
TYLin provided engineering and construction administration and inspection services for the rehabilitation of the East End Parking Garage in Rochester, New York.
The East End Parking Garage is a five-level, cast-in-place, post-tensioned concrete structure constructed in 1983, with a south addition built in 1991. It provides parking for approximately 1,300 vehicles.
Services included completing initial inspections, identifying major structural, waterproofing, and safety deficiencies, completing significant repairs, and developing a long-term maintenance plan.
Due to corrosion from a previous failure of the waterproofing system, several post-tensioning strands within the cast-in-place concrete one-way slab deck system had ruptured. With strand corrosion threatening the structural integrity of the structure, TYLin addressed the critical, long-term structural needs of the facility.
- TYLin performed a 100% hands-on visual inspection of the structural and waterproofing components and the mechanical and electrical systems, including power and lighting, revenue controls, plumbing systems, and fire protection systems.
- Ground-penetrating radar was used in strategic locations to identify areas of concrete deterioration, and a delamination survey was conducted of the entire garage.
- Special attention was focused on areas of concrete deterioration, delamination, and cracking related to the post-tensioning system.
- TYLin compared inspection results with past findings, reports, and surveys to develop the most comprehensive, long-term recommendations for maximizing the remaining life of the post-tensioned decks.
- TYLin developed a repair implementation plan and provided preliminary and final design plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E).
- Improvements included the installation of new revenue control equipment.
- TYLI and the City of Rochester contracted a local artist to create a mural on the wall of a new garage office as an extension of the public art found in the unique area.