TYLin provided complete design and construction support services for the Jiayue Bridge over the Jialing River, a landmark signature bridge in Chongqing, China.
The owners, Chongqing Land Properties Group, required an aesthetic, cost-effective sdesign that complemented the rugged gorge at the project site. After a type selection study of six design alternatives, TYLin’s design for an extradosed bridge was selected.
With a total length of 774 meters and a deck width of 37 meters, the unique “Y-shaped” Jiayue Bridge carries six lanes of traffic on the upper deck and two pedestrian/bicycle paths beneath the roadway wing slab. Total deck area is 29,412 square meters.
The Jiayue Bridge was a critical element of the Chongqing Expressway Project, for which TYLin provided design services for roadways, interchange bridges, and tunnels.
- TYLin successfully provided a signature bridge design while addressing cost savings.
- A total of six spans are used to cross the deep gorge, with span lengths ranging from 66 meters to 250 meters.
- The foundation has 2.5-meter hand-dug caissons with pile cap depths of close to 5 meters.
- The cable system uses epoxy-filled seven-wire strands placed individually, with 11000 kN as the maximum force on a single cable.
- Since the box girder sits high above the water level, the contractor utilized the free cantilever method to construct the girder.
- The cables were installed and stressed shortly after girder construction, shortening the construction schedule to 29 months.