Silman, A TYLin Company, provided structural engineering services for the Powerhouse Arts project in Brooklyn, New York
The adaptive reuse project converted and repurposed a former central power station of the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company into a modern, 170,000-square-foot workshop space and exhibition campus for use by artists across various disciplines.
Located along the Gowanus Canal, the former central power station was a circa 1904 brick masonry and steel structure known as the Historic Turbine Hall. After falling into disrepair and left vacant since the 1970s, the building was heavily graffitied and informally referred to as the “Gowanus Batcave.”
Silman’s scope of work included structurally integrating three main volumes into a single 170,000-square-foot building. Two of the volumes are new six-story and three-story reinforced concrete buildings, the Boiler House and New Turbine Hall, respectively.
Historic Turbine Hall was completely repaired and stabilized while keeping the original red brick facade. The New Turbine Hall sits within the historic structure. The complex also houses a large multipurpose events space and includes subgrade parking.
The project design team is Herzog & de Meuron and PBDW Architects (executive architect).