TYLin provided mechanical and electrical (M&E) engineering design services to expand and upgrade buildings and facilities at Temasek Polytechnic.
Located east of Singapore, the original 228,000-square-metre development for Temasek Polytechnic was designed by TYLin in the 1990s and includes 13 buildings that range from four to 11 stories. The project created a modern environment for the growing body of students.
Modernizing additions and alterations were made to the existing Sports Complex, Design Studio, Informatics and IT, and Administration buildings. Upgrades were also made to elevators in the IIT building and all campus restroom facilities.
Temasek Polytechnic’s main entrance now accommodates close to 500 people in its expanded, 700-square-metre foyer, which is air-conditioned with a jet diffuser concealed in the ceiling. A new covered linkway also provides shelter near the plaza entrance.
The Temasek Polytechnic campus offers panoramic views of the scenic Bedok Reservoir, and places particular emphasis on the preservation of the natural environment. TYLin provided state-of-the-art M&E engineering services to design the new 8-building Extension with minimal environmental impact.
With a total gross floor area of 83,000 square metres, the Extension includes:
- A three-story Sports and Arts Center, with a 100-seat black box theater, music rooms, Chinese orchestra room, dance studio, sports lab, air-conditioned sports hall, tennis courts, office space, and meeting rooms.
- The Glocal Connect Village, a learning space with art studios, performance and exhibition spaces, language labs, activity rooms, corporate training rooms, and the TransCultural Studies center.
- The West Wing Buildings (West Wing 1 Aviation Lab and West Wing 2) for the School of Engineering and Design, complete with hangar, simulator hall, computer learning and technology labs, electrical workshops, structure cable and tube workshop, and a solar PV live laboratory.
- A seven-story South Wing 2 for the School of Business, with teaching and training facilities, a wellness center, and 200-person event hall.
- The two-story Design Studios @ Spice Gardens, with classrooms, studio space, and facilities for the School of Design’s overseas partner, the Glasgow School of Art.
- The eight-story East Wing for the School of Humanities & Social Sciences, the School of Applied Science, and the IT department, with classrooms, offices, data center, exhibition areas, food court, three-story atrium, 100-seat culinary theater, R&D kitchen, a 100-seat senate room, and research laboratories.
- The four-story Veterinary & Aquaculture Research & Training Center, which holds the animal wellness center and clinic, aquaculture and greenhouse facility, and conventional, microbiology, pathology, virus, and Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) ABSL-2 animal laboratories.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing
- Repair and rehabilitation
- Environmental services
- Sustainability, resiliency and energy efficiency