Nat is an advocate for positive change across the construction supply chain, sharing his knowledge and expertise for the betterment of the industry, and for the people that make it possible.
Nat leads the Buildings sector as part of Silman, a TYLin company. He has extensive experience in the areas of new construction, renovation, sustainable engineering, and historic preservation, as principal in charge of much of the firm’s institutional, private residential, and educational work.
With a deep concern for working conditions for people around the world, Nat has been an active member of the Grace Farms Foundation Architecture + Construction Working Group, an interdisciplinary group of A/E leaders who are advocating to end the use of modern slavery in the supply chain and labor for the built environment.
Nat is also devoted to engineering education and teaches at the Graduate School of Architecture at Princeton University. He has also taught courses at the Columbia Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, and at Parsons, the New School for Design. He has been an invited jury critic for the architecture schools at Columbia, Princeton, Rice University, Parsons, and the University of Michigan. He has lectured at the University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning and at the Oklahoma State University School of Architecture.
- Architectural League of New York, Treasurer
- Salvadori Center, Executive Committee
- Structural Engineers Association of New York, Member, Past Director
- US Department of State Bureau of Overseas Building Operations Industry Advisory Group, Member
- Van Alen Institute, International Council, Member
Areas of expertise:
- New construction
- Sustainable engineering
- Historic preservation
Publications and presentations:
- Harvard GSD, Consultant, Spring 2021
- Princeton University, Visiting Lecturer, Graduate School of Architecture
- The Cooper Union, Assoc. Professor Adjunct, Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture
- MIT School of Architecture and Planning, Visiting Lecturer
- Clarkson University, Wallace H. Coulter School of Engineering, Guest Lecturer
- University of Michigan, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Guest Lecturer
Insights > The key to a successful project: The “big idea,” collaboration or both?