The original 228,000-square-meter development for Temasek Polytechnic, designed by T.Y. Lin International (TYLI) in the 1990s, includes 13 blocks, ranging from four to 11 stories. To create a more modern environment for the institution’s ever-growing body of students, TYLI was charged with providing complete Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) engineering design services for a new Extension, as well as designing M&E upgrades to current buildings and facilities.
Located east of Singapore, the Temasek Polytechnic campus offers panoramic views of the scenic Bedok Reservoir, and places particular emphasis on the preservation of the natural environment. State-of-the-art M&E engineering services were employed by TYLI in order to design the new Extension with minimal environmental impact.
The Extension comprises eight new buildings, with a total gross floor area of 83,000 square meters, including:
- A three-story Sports and Arts Center for a 100-seat black box theater, music rooms, sports lab, dance studio, air-conditioned sports hall, tennis courts, office space, Chinese orchestra room, and meeting rooms.
- The Glocal Connect Village, a learning space with art studios, performance and exhibition spaces, pottery studio, language labs, activity rooms, corporate training rooms, and the TransCultural Studies center.
- The West Wing (two blocks, West Wing 1 Aviation Lab and West Wing 2), housing the School of Engineering and Design, complete with hangar, simulator hall, computer learning lab, technology lab, electrical workshops, structure cable and tube workshop, and a solar PV live laboratory.
- A seven-story South Wing 2 for the School of Business, with teaching and training facilities, a wellness center, and 200-person event hall.
- The two-story Design Studios @ Spice Gardens, with classrooms, studio space, and facilities for the School of Design’s overseas partner, the Glasgow School of Art.
- The eight-story East Wing for the School of Humanities & Social Sciences, the School of Applied Science, and the IT department, with classrooms, kindergarten, offices, data center, exhibition areas, food court, three-story atrium, 100-seat culinary theater, R&D kitchen, and 100-seat senate room, as well as close to 2,000 square meters allotted for GFA for numerous research laboratories.
- The four-story Veterinary & Aquaculture Research & Training Center - which taps chilled water from the East Wing chiller plant - holding the animal wellness center and clinic, aquaculture and greenhouse facility, and conventional, microbiology, pathology, virus, and Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) ABSL-2 animal laboratories.
Modernizing additions and alterations (A&A) were made to the Sports Complex, Design Studio, IIT, and Administration Block. Upgrades were also made to elevators in the IIT Block and to all restroom facilities throughout the development.
In addition, the main campus entrance now accommodates close to 500 people in its expanded, 700-square-meter foyer, which is air-conditioned, with the jet diffuser concealed in the ceiling. A new covered linkway also provides shelter near Temasek Polytechnic’s plaza entrance.
- Green Mark Platinum Award, 2013
Building and Construction Authority (BCA)