Following a comprehensive assessment of facility needs, TYLin designed the new Auburn Park Station for Metra’s Rock Island District in Chicago, Illinois.
As Prime Consultant, TYLin was responsible for the facility needs assessment and design of a new USD 24 million Metra station. The station provides an economic boost to the Auburn Park Gresham area of Chicago and connects residents with opportunities outside the area.
Along with the responsibility for architectural, civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, geotechnical, and environmental services, TYLin also provided project management and track relocation designs. Civil designs included utility, grading, soil erosion control, pavement marking, signage, and geometric design.
TYLin’s structural engineers designed all foundations and structural elements for roofs, canopies, elevator shafts, stairwells, and the required openings through an existing gravity retaining wall.
- The station features a new parking lot with 84 parking spaces, a Kiss-N-Ride loop, a landscaped plaza with benches and a canopy, and a vendor building at street level.
- Designs included a station house with two elevators and stairs that access the track level, a heated platform with a polycarbonate canopy, and warming shelters.
- TYLin coordinated the project with the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT), Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Chicago Department of Buildings, and DIVVY, Chicago’s bike share program.
- TYLin provided critical assistance in Metra’s community outreach effort.
- Modifications were designed for adjacent intersections under CDOT’s authority.