TYLin provided engineering and construction administration and inspection services for the rehabilitation of the East End Parking Garage in Rochester, New York.
The East End Parking Garage is a five-level, cast-in-place, post-tensioned concrete structure constructed in 1983, with a south addition built in 1991. It provides parking for approximately 1,300 vehicles.
Services included completing initial inspections, identifying major structural, waterproofing, and safety deficiencies, completing significant repairs, and developing a long-term maintenance plan.
Due to corrosion from a previous failure of the waterproofing system, several post-tensioning strands within the cast-in-place concrete one-way slab deck system had ruptured. With strand corrosion threatening the structural integrity of the structure, TYLin addressed the critical, long-term structural needs of the facility.
- TYLin performed a 100% hands-on visual inspection of the structural and waterproofing components and the mechanical and electrical systems, including power and lighting, revenue controls, plumbing systems, and fire protection systems.
- Ground-penetrating radar was used in strategic locations to identify areas of concrete deterioration, and a delamination survey was conducted of the entire garage.
- Special attention was focused on areas of concrete deterioration, delamination, and cracking related to the post-tensioning system.
- TYLin compared inspection results with past findings, reports, and surveys to develop the most comprehensive, long-term recommendations for maximizing the remaining life of the post-tensioned decks.
- TYLin developed a repair implementation plan and provided preliminary and final design plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E).
- Improvements included the installation of new revenue control equipment.
- TYLI and the City of Rochester contracted a local artist to create a mural on the wall of a new garage office as an extension of the public art found in the unique area.